By Matt Bryant 

The assistant principal at McAdory Middle School charged in a 2013 triple homicide of three Montgomery residents in Georgia has resigned.
Keante Harris, 45, is charged with malice murder in the slayings Cheryl Colquit Thompson, 32, Quinones King, 33 and Rodney Cottrell, 43. Harris was booked into the Jefferson County Jail last week on a fugitive from justice warrant and remains held. He appeared in a courtroom earlier this week and has another court date set for May 28 before Jefferson County District Judge William Bell.
Harris submitted his resignation to Jefferson County Schools, which was accepted on Friday.
Superintendent Walter Gonsoulin read this statement at the board meeting following the acceptance of Harris’ resignation.
“One of the personnel actions you just approved was the resignation of Mr. Keante Harris. Had he not submitted it, we would have begun termination proceedings in accordance with our policies.
Although the charges Mr. Harris faces are very disturbing, his guilt or innocence will ultimately be determined by a jury.
Whatever the outcome of the legal process may be, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the victims’ families. They are in my prayers.
From the school district’s perspective, I consider our involvement in this matter now closed, and I will have no further comment.”
Keante Harris is one of four suspects charged in the case. All were taken into custody over a two-day period last week.
The others charged are Kenneth Thompson, Kevin Harris, and Darrell Harris.
The victims were found dead Jan. 13, 2013, near Union City, Ga. The discovery was made about 5:45 a.m. that Sunday in the northbound exit ramp to Flat Shoals Road. Colquitt-Thompson, her uncle, King, and her boyfriend, Cottrell, were found dead in Thompson’s Dodge Charger off Interstate 85 in the northbound exit ramp to Flat Shoals Road in Union City, Ga.
King and Cottrel were both found dead in the backseat of the vehicle and died from asphyxia. Colquitt-Thompson, found in the trunk of the vehicle, died from ligature strangulation. It is believed that the victims were lured to a home on Magnolia Drive in Jonesboro where they were forced into the residence at gunpoint. They were loaded into the back seat of a Dodge Charger and taken to Fulton County.